Gather Yourselves Together is Dick’s first novel, written in the early 1950s but not published until 1994. An American metals company located in China is bought by the Chinese and three employees stay behind on the company’s premises in order to facilitate the transfer to the new owners.
Through flashbacks we find out Verne had a prior relationship with Barbara back in the U.S., and we learn that Carl is socially immature. He’s twenty-three but characterized more like someone closer to sixteen. It feels like a book written by someone only guessing how adult relationships work.
Cast of characters
- Carl Fitter, Barbara Mahler and Verne Tildon– our three protagonists
- Penny and Felix – Barbara’s friends in Castle
- Don Field – Verne’s acquaintance… Teddy’s boyfriend before she jumps ship to Verne
- Teddy – Verne’s girlfriend
- Bill Herndon – Verne’s other passenger on the way back to NY from Castle
- Jimmy Petio – Carl’s friend from summer camp when he was twelve
- Harry Liu – the Chinese man who arrives to make sure everything is in order before the changeover to the new owners
Other things to know
- The American Metals Development Company – aka ‘the Company’
- Castle – a resort town up the coast from Boston
- The Walker Club – a jazz club in NY