Dr. Futurity (not to be confused with the much better Dr. Bloodmoney) tells the story of Dr. Jim Parsons who is snatched away from 2012 and brought to the year 2405. The world of the future has no need for doctors as they have embraced death and eugenics. Their society is organized into tribes represented by animal totems. These tribes compete in contests to determine future generations as the winning tribes are able to contribute a greater number of zygotes to the Soul Cube. I feel stupid writing this down.
The Wolf Tribe has access to a time travel device, and they need the medical know-how of Parsons to save the life of Corith who was shot by an arrow in 1579 during a botched attempt to travel back in time to kill Sir Francis Drake. His plan was to erase the next 500 years of white supremacy by preventing England from taking North America from the Native Americans. Anyway… at least he wasn’t trying to stop Hitler.
The whole thing is full of plot holes, time travel and otherwise. Dick tries to explain away some of these issues, but the poorly-written story remains muddled and not very interesting.
Cast of characters
- Dr. Jim Parsons – our protagonist
- Wade and Icara – members of an illegal political group advocating women’s rights
- Al Stenog – the Director of the Fountain
- Loris – Mother superior of the Wolf Tribe
- Helmar – Loris’s brother
- Corith – Loris’s father. He travels back to 1579 in an attempt to kill Sir Francis Drake.
- Jepthe – Loris’s mother
- Nixina – mother of Jepthe and Corith
Other things to know
- Shupos – delinquent children who work as government enforcers
- Soul Cube – contains all the zygotes of the human race
- The Fountain – government building where the Soul Cube is kept
- Nova Albion – Northern California landing spot of Sir Francis Drake in 1579